Mission Statement: Texas Winds Musical Outreach engages, comforts and celebrates the spirits of isolated seniors, hospital patients, veterans and children in North Texas through live, professional music programs.
Texas Winds began in 1985 when Catherine Barr and members of her woodwind quintet decided to share some of their rehearsal time with residents of a Dallas nursing home. The organization received its 501(c)(3) status in February 1987 and has grown annually from 11 concerts in its initial year to over 1,700 in its fiscal year ended June 30, 2017. Texas Winds outreach extends to all nursing homes in Dallas County and many in Tarrant and Collin Counties as well as a number of hospitals, hospices and Head Start Centers. Programs in Denton County were initiated in the current fiscal year.
The annual operating budget is approximately $460,000 including in-kind contributions from musicians and approximately $400,000 in monetary support from municipalities, foundations, corporations and individual donors. Texas Winds contracts with over 70 professional musicians, who each donate a portion of their performance time. In addition to the Executive Director, there are two part-time staff positions, a Program Director and an Administrative Assistant. Our founding Executive Director has announced her desire to retire, creating this opening, but has offered to provide transitional as well as ongoing assistance to the new Executive Director if desired.
The Executive Director Position:
Texas Winds seeks a dynamic Executive Director to build upon the solid foundation established by our founding Executive Director. The successful candidate will have demonstrated hands-on entrepreneurial skills and be an exceptional communicator.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director has overall strategic, operational and financial responsibility for fulfilling Texas Winds’ mission. Specific responsibilities include:
- Leadership – Possess a leadership style that empowers and inspires our musicians and employees to engage and comfort our audience members consistent with our mission statement. Ensure that Texas Winds has long-term strategies to expand its outreach.
- Fund Development – Maintain rapport with existing supporters and cultivate new donor relationships. Develop a strategy to strengthen and diversify funding sources. Manage grant calendar, pursue new grant funding and ensure all reporting and other grant requirements are met. Coordinate an annual fundraising campaign, prepare annual report and oversee the planning and implementation of special events.
- Board Administration and Support - Maintain effective, accurate, timely and regular communication with the board of directors to enable them to make informed decisions. Utilize the board’s talents in support of Texas Winds’ mission. Facilitate regular board and committee meetings.
- Programming – Oversee design, scheduling, delivery and quality of concerts and other programs. Define, implement and monitor metrics for effectiveness of concerts and musicians.
- Community and Public Relations - Promote the organization through effective public relations, serve as a spokesperson for the organization at events, in the community, and with media. Maintain an effective website and grow the social media presence. In coordination with the Marketing/Development Committee, facilitate special events designed to build awareness of the organization throughout the communities in our service area.
- Finances – Ensure the organization continues to be fiscally sound. Develop an annual budget with the board Treasurer for board approval and prudently manage the organization’s resources within the budgeted guidelines. Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting to the Finance Committee and board. Facilitate the annual audit of the organization’s financial statements. Develop and implement a plan to grow the endowment.
- Information Technology – Ensure all systems are fully functioning and updated utilizing staff and consultants as appropriate. Leverage technology to maintain and expand donor relationships. Ensure the website and social media platforms are current and relevant.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate must:
- hold a bachelor’s degree, preferably in a related field, e.g. music, non-profit management, public relations, etc.
- have relevant work experience that demonstrates an ability to manage an organization of similar size and scope
- demonstrate proven fund raising success
- possess exemplary oral, written and interpersonal skills
- be proficient in all Microsoft Office programs and QuickBooks
For fullest consideration, please submit a letter of application, a resume, and salary requirements before February 28, 2018 to our search committee via email: EDsearch@TexasWinds.org.